The Surgical Technology Program trains individuals to prepare the operating room, select and care for instruments, provide technical assistance to the surgeon and nursing team during surgery, and breakdown the room after the surgery. The program consists of four months of concentrated theory and lab practice, two months of integrated theory and clinical preparation, and six months of clinical practice.
Class Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 2:30 PM
Program starts each September and February
*Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park Street | Clearwater, Florida 33756 | 727-210-2350 www.caahep.org
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||12 Months|
To complete admissions for Surgical Technology program applicants must submit all general admissions requirements, Surgical Technology program specific requirements, and documents for points by the published deadline to be considered. Acceptance is competitive based on a point system. Completion of admissions does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
|Fall 2022 (Sept 2022 Class)||June 10, 2022|
|Spring 2023 (Feb 2023 Class)||October 28, 2022|
General Admissions Requirements submitted to:
Student Services at 1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville TN 37919
After completion of the below general admissions requirements applicants will be wait listed, but program requirements must also be submitted by deadline to be considered.
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online – the website is www.fafsa.ed.gov and our school code is 004025
- Complete the Application for Enrollment online by selecting Apply Now.
- Provide an official high school transcript or equivalent (a special education diploma will not qualify.) Transcripts can be sent either by mail, carried in the original sealed envelope, or electronically from the educational institution directly to TCAT Knoxville to the email email@example.com .
IMPORTANT: If you have foreign transcripts you will need to submit an English translated version of your transcript and an education evaluation both must obtained through the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Please visit their website at www.naces.org for more information.
- Take and pass the Allied Health Prerequisite, HESI Exam. Exam is over Math and Reading Comprehension the cost is $40.00. Passing scores are 50 in math and reading score of 70. Applicants are responsible for submitting a copy of their HESI scores with their application because scores are not automatically linked with other application documents on the date of their exam.
- Provide documentation of two MMR and two Varicella immunization doses or proof of immunity.
Surgical Technology Program Specific Requirements submitted to:
1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville TN 37919
- Student must be 18 years of age by the start of class
- Provide current CPR card certification from American Heart Association in BLS for Healthcare Providers which covers basic life support in infant, child, adult, choking and AED.
- Provide any documentation for Points System.
According to CDC guidelines, you may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and infectious materials while in this program.
1100 Liberty Street
Knoxville, TN 37919
Assist in operations, under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. May help set up operating room, prepare and transport patients for surgery, adjust lights and equipment, pass instruments and other supplies to surgeons and surgeons' assistants, hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 3,100
Current job openings per year: 300