The Dental Assisting program prepares students to become members of the dental health care team. The course includes theory with demonstrations and classroom instruction. Students receive supervised experience performing procedures using study models, mannequins, and other simulated methods. Students receive three months of supervised experience in the clinical setting performing procedures on dental patients in a dental office.
Class Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 2:30 PM
Program starts each September
The Dental Assistant program is accredited by the Tennessee State Board of Dentistry and the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||12 Months|
|Consumer Information||View Info|
To complete admissions for the Dental Assisting program applicants must submit all general admissions requirements and Dental Assisting program specific requirements to be considered. Acceptance into this program is based on a first-come-first-serve system based on completion date of all documentation. Completion of admissions does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
General Admissions Requirements submitted to:
Student Services at 1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville TN 37919
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online – the website is www.fafsa.ed.gov and our school code is 004025.
- Complete the Application for Enrollment form online at www.tcatknoxville.edu and select APPLY NOW.
- Provide official, sealed high school transcript or equivalent.
IMPORTANT: If you have foreign transcripts you will need to submit an English translated version of your transcript and an education evaluation both must obtained through the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Please visit their website at www.naces.org for more information.
Dental Assisting Program Specific Admission submitted to:
Judith Walker at 1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville TN 37919
- Student must be 18 years of age by the start of class.
- Provide documentation of MMR and Varicella immunizations.
- Provide current CPR card certification from American Heart Association in BLS for Healthcare Providers which covers basic life support in infant, child, adult, choking and AED.
- Take and pass the HESI Exam. Exam covers Math and Reading Comprehension and the cost is $34.00. Passing scores are 50 in math and 70 in reading exam.
According to CDC guidelines, you may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and infectious materials while in this program.
1100 Liberty Street
Knoxville, TN 37919
Assist dentist, set up equipment, prepare patient for treatment, and keep records.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 5,450
Current job openings per year: 820