The Truck Driving program prepares students to pass the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) test. The program includes instruction in Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, as well as, logging procedures required by DOT and the trucking industry. The course provides actual experience in backing, driving on secondary roads, interstate roads, highways, and city streets. Students may apply to the program without their CDL permit.
Class Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 2:30 PM
* Skills day class times are 8 AM to 5 PM.
|Time Commitment||Part Time|
|Typical Program Length||2 Months|
- Complete Application for Enrollment online
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online – the website is www.fafsa.ed.gov and our school code is 004025.
- Complete and submit a Department of Transportation Physical (DOT Physical)—A DOT physical examination must be conducted by a licensed “medical examiner”. To schedule this you may contact your primary care provider to schedule an appointment but be sure you request a DOT physical since it is specific to the industry. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) form called the Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination is used for the DOT physical and does evaluate if an individual is physically qualified to drive a motor vehicle. In some cases a Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Examination may be required with the DOT physical. For more information please refer to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/.
- Provide a copy of valid drivers license
|Trimester||Program Start Date||End Date||Training Days|
|Spring 2022||January 4, 2022||February 17, 2022||32|
|Spring 2022||January 27, 2022||March 14, 2022||32|
|Spring 2022||February 21, 2022||April 6, 2022||32|
|Spring 2022||March 16, 2022||April 28, 2022||32|
|Spring 2022||April 7, 2022||May 24, 2022||32|
|Summer 2022||May 3, 2022||June 17, 2022||32|
|Summer 2022||May 26, 2022||July 12, 2022||32|
|Summer 2022||June 20, 2022||August 4, 2022||32|
|Summer 2022||July 14, 2022||August 29, 2022||32|
|Summer 2022||August 8, 2022||Sepember 23, 2022||32|
|Fall 2022||September 1, 2022||October 17, 2022||32|
|Fall 2022||September 26, 2022||November 9, 2022||32|
|Fall 2022||October 19, 2022||December 5, 2022||32|
|Fall 2022||November 10, 2022||December 29, 2022||32|
|Fall 2022||December 7, 2022||January 24, 2023||32|
1100 Liberty Street
Knoxville, TN 37919
Drive a light vehicle, such as a truck or van, with a capacity of less than 26,001 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), primarily to pick up merchandise or packages from a distribution center and deliver. May load and unload vehicle.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 20,190
Current job openings per year: 2,550