The Truck Driving program prepares students to pass the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) test. The program includes instruction in Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, as well as, logging procedures required by DOT and the trucking industry. The course provides actual experience in backing, driving on secondary roads, interstate roads, highways, and city streets. Students may apply to the program without their CDL permit, but MUST obtain a CDL Class A permit prior to the start date of their class from the Tennessee Department of Safety.
Class Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 2:30 PM
|Time Commitment||Part Time|
|Typical Program Length||2 Months|
|Consumer Information||View Info|
- Complete Application for Enrollment online
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online – the website is www.fafsa.ed.gov and our school code is 004025.
- Complete and submit a Department of Transportation Physical (DOT Physical)—A DOT physical examination must be conducted by a licensed “medical examiner”. To schedule this you may contact your primary care provider to schedule an appointment but be sure you request a DOT physical since it is specific to the industry. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) form called the Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination is used for the DOT physical and does evaluate if an individual is physically qualified to drive a motor vehicle. In some cases a Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Examination may be required with the DOT physical. For more information please refer to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/.
- Provide a copy of valid Class A Permit.
- Provide a copy of valid drivers license
Note: applicants must be at least 21 years of age by Truck Driving program start date.
|Program Start Date||End Date||Training Days|
|Jan 3, 2019||Feb 26, 2019||37|
|Feb 27, 2019||April 25, 2019||37|
|May 1, 2019||June 21, 2019||37|
|June 24, 2019||Aug 27, 2019||37|
|Sept 3, 2019||Oct 25, 2019||37|
|Oct 28, 2019||Dec 20, 2019||37|
1100 Liberty Street
Knoxville, TN 37919
Drive a light vehicle, such as a truck or van, with a capacity of less than 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight GVW , primarily to deliver or pick up merchandise or to deliver packages. May load and unload vehicle.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 20,690
Current job openings per year: 2,310