The Truck Driving program prepares students to pass the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) test. The program includes instruction in Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, as well as, logging procedures required by DOT and the trucking industry. The course provides actual experience in backing, driving on secondary roads, interstate roads, highways, and city streets. Students may apply to the program without their CDL permit.
Class Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 2:30 PM
* Skills day class times are 8 AM to 5 PM.
|Time Commitment||Part Time|
|Typical Program Length||2 Months|
- Complete Application for Enrollment online
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online – the website is www.fafsa.ed.gov and our school code is 004025.
- Complete and submit a Department of Transportation Physical (DOT Physical)—A DOT physical examination must be conducted by a licensed “medical examiner”. To schedule this you may contact your primary care provider to schedule an appointment but be sure you request a DOT physical since it is specific to the industry. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) form called the Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination is used for the DOT physical and does evaluate if an individual is physically qualified to drive a motor vehicle. In some cases a Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Examination may be required with the DOT physical. For more information please refer to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/.
- Provide a copy of valid drivers license
|Trimester||Program Start Date||End Date||Training Days|
|Spring 2021||February 24, 2021||April 8, 2021|
|Spring 2021||March 18, 2021||April 30, 2021||32|
|Spring 2021||April 12, 2021||May 25, 2021||32|
|Summer 2021||May 4, 2021||June 17, 2021||32|
|Summer 2021||May 26, 2021||July 13, 2021||32|
|Summer 2021||June 21, 2021||August 4, 2021||32|
|Summer 2021||July 14, 2021||August 26, 2021||32|
|Summer 2021||August 5, 2021||September 20, 2021||32|
|Summer 2021||August 30, 2021||October 13, 2021||32|
|Fall 2021||September 22, 2021||November 8, 2021||32|
|Fall 2021||October 18, 2021||December 2, 2021||32|
|Fall 2021||November 9, 2021||December 29, 2021||32|
1100 Liberty Street
Knoxville, TN 37919
Drive a light vehicle, such as a truck or van, with a capacity of less than 26,001 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), primarily to pick up merchandise or packages from a distribution center and deliver. May load and unload vehicle.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 20,190
Current job openings per year: 2,550