The Practical Nursing Program is approved by the Tennessee Board of Nursing. Graduates will obtain a diploma in Practical Nursing and may then be eligible to take the National Council Licensing Exam for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN) used to obtain nursing licensure in Tennessee. Practical Nursing is entry level nursing. Graduates are prepared with the background and skills to give knowledgeable, basic nursing care to patients with varying degrees of physical needs. Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) work under the supervision of registered nurses and doctors. Positions are available in hospitals, long term care facilities, physician's offices, home health agencies, and in industry.
Class Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 2:30 PM
Program starts each January, May, and September
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||12 Months|
The Practical Nursing program starts three times a year each January, May, and September.
To complete admissions for Practical Nursing program applicants must submit all general admissions requirements, Practical Nursing program specific requirements, and documents for points by the published deadline to be considered. Acceptance is competitive based on a point system. Completion of admissions does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
General Admission Requirements submitted to:
Student Services at 1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville TN 37919
- Complete the Application for Enrollment form online by selecting Apply Now.
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online – the website is www.fafsa.ed.gov and our school code is 004025
- Provide copy of official, sealed high school transcript or equivalent
IMPORTANT: If you have foreign transcripts you will need to submit an English translated version of your transcript and an education evaluation both must obtained through the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Please visit their website at www.naces.org for more information.
- Provide documentation of 2 doses of MMR and 2 doses of Varicella immunizations.
- Take and pass the HESI Exam. Exam is over Math and Reading Comprehension the cost is $34.00. Passing scores are 50 in math and 70 in reading. Applicants are responsible for submitting a copy of their HESI scores with their application because scores are not automatically linked with other application documents on the date of their exam.
Practical Nursing Program Specific Requirements submitted to:
Linda Hafley at 1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville TN 37919 phone: 865-766-4359
- Student must be 18 years of age by the start of class
- Declaration of Citizenship: Provide the original completed and notarized Declaration of Citizenship. Applicants who are not US citizens must designate their qualified alien status by circling a “qualified alien” category in section 7 on the citizenship form. They must also submit copies of two unexpired supporting identification documents from the list of “documentation of identity and immigration status as determined by the US Homeland Security.
- Provide current CPR card certification from American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR which covers basic life support in infant, child, adult, choking and AED.
Submit three (3) letters of Recommendation from professionals with the contact information of the professional in the letter (Not from relatives).
- Documentation for Points System.
According to CDC guidelines, you may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and infectious materials while in this program.
907 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy
Maryville, TN 37804
1100 Liberty Street
Knoxville, TN 37919