Job Title: Associate Instructor of Cosmetology
Job Code: EF, Faculty 12 Month
Location: TCAT Knoxville
Reports To: Vice President
FLSA Status: Exempt
EEO-1 Category: Faculty 12 Month, Full Time
Position Number: 30018K
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology Knoxville is accepting applications for the position of a day, full time Associate Instructor of Cosmetology to be located at TCAT Knoxville main campus. This position and will work 37.5 hours a week Monday to Friday from 7:30 am until 3:30 pm with a thirty-minute lunch.
POSITION SUMMARY: To provide quality instruction for student learning and to maintain a positive learning environment in the classroom.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of an accredited Cosmetology program
- Current, valid Cosmetologist Licensure issued by the TN State Board of Cosmetology
- Current, valid Cosmetology Instructor’s License issued by the TN State Board of Cosmetology
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a licensed Cosmetologist
- Must commit to remaining licensed and maintain program accreditation(s)
- Strong customer service skills; must possess effective oral and written communication skills to accurately convey information and to effectively present information
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal working relationships with students, colleges, business and industry, faculty, staff and the general public
- Must have ability to utilize Microsoft Office programs, audio/visual equipment and software
- Must have the ability to multitask with good organization and planning skills
- Passionate belief in the power of education along with the desire to help students achieve their academic, professional, and personal goals
- Teaching, training or salon management experience
- Experience in higher education
- The Cosmetology Associate Instructor will work to provide classroom and lab instruction to students to prepare them to become Cosmetologists.
- Monitor and evaluate student progress, attendance, and grades
- Complete and submit required reports in a timely manner
- Ability to effectively apply a multi-method approach to enhance student understanding of materials, including demonstrations, lectures, hands-on activities and experience in live works to provide the student with the knowledge to gain employment and licensure in the cosmetology industry.
- Ability to understand which teaching methods best serve the student’s needs, interests, and ability to learn.
- Ability to develop accurate and objective standards to measure learning or administer testing or other evaluations to determine effectiveness and ensure a high level of comprehension has been achieved.
- Ability to teach all courses within the cosmetology curriculum.
- Maintain student records for grades and attendance and enter into Banner system.
- Build and maintain relationships with area employers to facilitate the referral and employment of career and technical students.
- Cooperate with outside agencies; work with program advisory committees; conduct visits to business and industry; establish and maintain good public relations with the school’s general public.
- Work in cooperation with other departments and the community to enhance employment opportunities for students.
- Responsible for surveys, records and reports of program graduates.
- Communicate effectively in a professional, tactful and courteous manner with students, employees, faculty, and the general public.
- Ensure that all activities are conducted within the established guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
- Hold program advisory board meetings twice a year and record meeting minutes.
- Participate in professional development and growth annually.
- Assist with student placement and follow-up information.
- Assist with student recruitment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must possess the communication skills necessary to be an effective instructor
- Must be willing to remain current in the Cosmetology profession
- Computer skills required
- Ability to be flexible and handle a variety of tasks at one time
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, community and industry
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a team-oriented environment
APPLICATION SUBMISSION & REVIEW: To be considered for a position at TCAT Knoxville, you must create and submit an on-line application that includes uploads of your required documents at https://tbr.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/27/home?c=tbr. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using what is recorded on your application. Please be sure to include the complete Begin and End Dates under your Employment History. Scan and attach required documents to the online application in Word or PDF format. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
TN State Board of Cosmetology Licensures
Applications accepted until 01/20/2021.
EMPLOYMENT DOCUMENTS: Current federal law requires identification and eligibility verification prior to employment. Only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the United States may be employed. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology Knoxville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as a protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulations and by Tennessee Board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies: Misty West, Interim Human Resources and Administrative Services Coordinator, email@example.com ,1100 Liberty Street, Knoxville, TN 37919, (865) 766-4346.